I’m a Sydney-sider who has been enjoying the outdoors intermittently since 1999. My first real adventure into the great unknown was a 6 day hike from Katoomba to Mittagong. I wouldn’t say 6 days of really sore feet, a sore back, and bad food was what got me hooked on the outdoors, but it certainly didn’t stop me either. I think I have always been attracted to the unknown, to exploration, to pushing boundaries and to all forms of adrenalin in general, so it was inevitable that I started rock climbing; soon enough I found someone to take me into a canyon and teach me the basic skills of canyoning, as well as group of people I tagged along with on a trip down to Bungonia where I learnt the basics of caving… and the interactions just expanded from there. I’ve tried just about every outdoor sport there is and enjoy the vast majority of them, and I definitely find that some of the most incredible experiences I have had have come about through doing these sports.
So there it is - they are my outdoor qualifications: I enjoy doing stuff. Why am I making this website? Because I often find that there isn’t enough information online for things that I want to do, and because I love sharing these things with other people. I hate experiencing a ’soul-touching’ event, and finding that 99% of the people I know will never even fathom that experience no matter how graphically I retell the story….I think more people need to get out into the wilderness and start experiencing it for themselves. If you haven’t done it yet, then you don’t even know what you are missing out on.
Besides my enjoyment of the outdoors, I studied Philosophy and Molecular Biology at the University of New South Wales - My number one goal and focus in life is to assist lifespan extension research; ideally helping to find the ‘cure’ to ageing. I know, it still sounds like a science fiction novel but it probably isn’t as unlikely as you assume… Check out ImmInst.org, and SENS.org. This is a serious scientific pursuit which is easily the most worthwhile scientific endeavour you can undertake in your natural lifespan.
- I am engaged to a beautiful, intelligent woman. We’ll be getting married June 2008.
- The best movie ever is Fight Club “This is your life, and it’s ending one minute at a time.” - “First you have to give up, first you have to *know*… not fear… *know*… that someday you’re gonna die.” Best. Movie. Ever.
- I enjoy some television, but most of it isn’t very inspirational - Rome is the best series I have ever seen and I highly recommend it to everyone. Most of the time though, I am just on my computer.
- I love TOOL, Pink Floyd and pretty much everything in between.
- TED.com is a really cool website. Watch a video on a topic you are slightly interested in, and you will love it too.
- If you haven’t figured it out yet, TDMSKP doesn’t stand for anything. When said aloud, it says ‘Tedium’ ‘Escapee’ - A person who has escaped from the tedium of everyday life…..
- I love the theory of evolution. It is simple, elegant, beautiful. And when you really understand it - the whole universe starts to make sense.
- Monty Python probably are the funniest people ever to grace this planet.
- Yes, I probably am a nerd. Welcome to the era of the nerd.
That’s all for now. Ask questions if you want to know anything else!